jueves, 24 de septiembre de 2009

My Classes at the Universidad de San Francisco de Quito September 1, 2009

I am impressed every day by what USFQ has achieved in such a short time.  Today the school celebrated its mere 21st birthday and it is considered to be one of the best liberal arts schools in Latin America (although I suppose that view is biased since the only people who have expressed that opinion outwardly are USFQ professors.  However, the school does have the only college Big Band in Ecuador, and it is sick.  That certainly counts for something).  The school itself is beautiful with interesting architecture, tiles, and a pond surrounded by large mountains. 

 

Taking classes with Ecuadorians is an enriching experience.  In my class Temas de America Latina (Latin American themes) we are currently studying the history of US-Latin American relations.  I’ve been exposed to these themes in various courses over the past years, but through US textbooks and with US students.  Now I am exposed to these same issues through the Latin American perspective surrounded by Latin American students.  It sheds a new light on my own country.  It makes our historical mistakes stark and clear, but also all the good aspects of our country as well.  There of course was the occasional US supported coup of elected leaders in Latin America, but there was also the Peace Corps.  However, it is important to note that on a personal level, nobody judges others based on nationality, or historical grudges.  Everywhere I go I am greeted with a smile, a handshake and kiss on the cheek.  That is, I think, what cultural exchange is all about.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario