martes, 29 de septiembre de 2009

The Wedding September 13, 2009


My cousin Jose Luis was married last Saturday and we gringos of the family were invited!  The whole experience of going to the ceremony and then salsa dancing for hours on end afterwards was just incredible.  The ceremony was in an old yellow church in the far south of Quito.  It began like any ceremony in the states would, with the bride walking down the aisle to a typical wedding song joining the groom at the alter with the immediate family just behind them.  The priest then spoke for a while; of what exactly I’m not sure, but I’ve heard enough catholic masses to take a guess.  However, by the end of ceremony, nearly the entire extended family had surrounded the couple at the alter and was flashing pictures like a paparazzi crew. 

 

After the ceremony, we left for the reception.  The party was filled with traditions and enough salsa and rum to last the whole night.  When the DJ started playing the salsa, everyone immediately rose and danced their hearts out.  I actually think salsa is inherent in Latin genes, and I wouldn’t be surprised if babies come out of the womb here dancing.  My aunt Veronica pulled me into the dance floor and I attempted my salsa skills.  I’m sure this was a hilarious sight at first, but I eventually figured it out somewhat.  And if I still was making a fool out of myself, I had a good time doing it!  After about four hours of salsa, the DJ put on some American swing.  My two gringa cousins, Susan and Elise, and I jumped back to the dance floor and swung our hearts out.  The music transitioned from In The Mood to Grease, and was a lot of fun to dance to.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario